About the Job
LOCATION: North Vancouver, BC
COMPANY NAME: Maven Consulting Limited
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
Are you looking to advance your career and become a key member of the Management Team?
Join us as our Director of Finance at Maven Consulting Limited, an engineering and construction consultancy, listed on the Globe and Mail Growth 500 list for the past 3 years running as one of Canada’s fast-growing companies.
We are looking for an experienced and results oriented Chartered Professional Accountant who is forward thinking and can lead. The director will be well organized and task and solutions oriented. He/she will provide accurate and timely information, work as part of the team to lead more then just finance, and be a key contributor to the Company’s success.
Reporting to the CEO, and as part of an established management team, this position will oversee day-to-day finance and accounting, corporate administration, and facilities and IT management. This position will have one direct report and will work closely with the office manager and management on specific projects.
Finance and Accounting (60% of duties)
- Oversee the preparation of revenue forecasts, cash receipts, utilization report, and labour cost forecasting and cash flow projections on a semi-monthly basis
- Prepare the monthly income statement, income statement forecast, and summary of secured to pipeline revenue sources
- Oversee the timely issuance of invoices to clients
- Review monthly financials with the CEO to forecast profits, cashflow and costs and to address any financial issues
- Be the key member representing Finance on company strategy and lead the annual budgeting process
- Lead the annual review of charge out rates considering demand, competitors, and other market factors
- Lead the annual financial fiscal year end, working with outside tax advisors and accountants
- Manage relationships with our financial service providers (e.g., banks, accountants)
- Monitor opportunities in industry (e.g., loans, grants)
Administration (30% of duties)
- Facilitate the preparation of monthly corporate metrics
- Lead contract administration: reviewing current processes and streamlining and improving where necessary, ensuring all parts of process are up to date (e.g., contract log) and requirements are met
- Ensure the Company’s needs for liability and other insurance are met and policies are in place that protect the Company
Facilities and IT Management (10% of duties)
- Manage all operations of office facilities, equipment, and fleet vehicles, including lease renewal, expense approvals, and inventory
- Manage all operations of IT systems (hardware & software), including monitoring emerging technology and renewal of software
- Evaluate our current IT systems for improvements
- Manage implementation of technology, including evaluating the business case and training staff
Who we are looking for:
- A CPA designated professional with 10-20 years of industry experience
- Must have experience working as a controller or Director of Finance in a professional services business – preference for engineering firm experience
- Must reside in the Greater Vancouver Area
- Solid understanding of accounting, monthly reporting, financial forecasting, annual budgeting, and fiscal year end processes
- Working knowledge of managing contract administration, insurance, facilities, and IT
- Detailed orientated, ensuring quality in financial reporting and thorough coordination with departments
- Outstanding organization and leadership abilities; aptitude in decision-making and problem solving
- Ability to “zoom in and zoom out” – from detailed reports to high level strategy
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate directly and professionally in all situations.
- Excellent writing, speaking and public speaking abilities in English
- Make a difference – Opportunity to make changes and develop systems in a growing company
- Grow with us – Take on new responsibilities as a member of our leadership team
- Receive competitive compensation and health benefits
- Work with a friendly, respectful team that listens deeply and trusts each others’ expertise – our culture is recognized as a Best Place to Work for Inclusion and Wellness.
- Contribute to our Share 1% program through organizing initiatives and attending events
- Work in a flexible and hybrid work environment; 2 days in the office and 3 days from home
How to apply:
Your application needs to include:
- Cover letter or 3 min Video (recommend posting to YouTube as unlisted and sharing link) answering “What is the most important contribution the Director of Finance can make to a professional service business?”
To apply for this position, please send your application to [email protected]
Maven is an equal opportunity employer. Only those people legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered.
Maven Consulting is an engineering and construction consultancy delivering services across Western North America. Based in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia, Maven has been recognized as the fastest growing professional services company in Western Canada and as Best Place to Work in British Columbia in 2021.
The word “Maven” means, “one who is experienced or knowledgeable.” Our people are our success. We have a professional, friendly, and open team committed to our values: serving clients, producing quality work, and proactive communication.
We believe we are part of the wider community and need to do our part to contribute, ensuring a positive future for our fellow citizens. We are proud to donate 1% of our annual revenue to local community groups.