About the job
LOCATION: Throughout British Colombia
HOURS: Full time Permanent
LEVEL: Intermediate – Senior
Ready for your next challenge? We are recruiting Electrical Construction Inspectors throughout British Columbia (Lower Mainland, BC Interior, and Northern BC, Vancouver Island).
The core responsibility of this role is to perform Electrical Construction Inspection for a portfolio of projects owned by our Power Utility client. There are on-going capital and maintenance projects of varying size and diversity.
You don’t have to have inspection experience to apply. We work with domain expertise (e.g. power line technician) and provide on-the job training. Instead, we look for people who share our passion for the work and align with our values – Serve, Quality, Consult, Safety, Share.
- Conducting quality assurance inspections of distribution and transmission infrastructure, such as junction boxes, transformers, pull boxes, service boxes, and overhead transmission lines.
- Ensuring all works are done in accordance with both the client and Maven standards, contract documents, design drawings and any other relevant specifications.
- Reviewing preliminary designs and providing recommendations as to their suitability and applicability.
- Providing technical assistance in the development of solutions for preliminary design problems.
- Supporting designers in preparation of accurate record drawings.
- Filling out electrical forms such as daily reports, non-standard forms and completion forms.
- Leading pre-job meetings with prime contractors to discuss scope of work, safety and environmental issues.
- Attending project status site review meetings to ensure adherence with appropriate construction standards and procedures.
- Assuring that Quality Inspection and Test Plans are followed.
- Reporting compliance and violations to the project team.
- Working with other construction inspectors and distribution work managers to coordinate work activities and schedules.
Who we are looking for:
- Graduated High School
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a power line technician. Experience inspecting electrical and utility infrastructure is an asset.
- Able to read electrical/utility drawings and interpret the information with respect to impact to design/construction drawings
- Well-developed communication, facilitation, negotiation and interpersonal skills in English
- Well-developed planning, organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of MS Office applications and computer skills to use email and write summary reports.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions on construction sites
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract
- A clean criminal record check
You MAY have the follow qualifications:
- Registered or eligible for registration with ASTTBC as an Applied Science Technologist, or equivalent.
- Electrical utility design and construction experience
- Have knowledge of construction management and coordination practices.
- Certified Public Works Inspector
- Working knowledge of relevant design codes, standards and guidelines such as: MMCD, NBCC and CSA standards, USACE Manuals, MOTI Utilities manual, etc.
- Grow with us – Take on new role and learn with our experienced team
- Be supported through training, team meetings, 121 meetings, and townhalls
- Receive competitive compensation
- Attend staff events and contribute to our Share 1% program
Maven Consulting is an engineering consultancy delivering utility engineering and construction services across Western North America. We strive to help our clients provide the world with energy, power infrastructure, and advance future generations. And it starts with our people – motivated and committed to making a difference.
Based in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia, Maven has been recognized as the fastest growing profession services company in western Canada in 2019 and 2020, and as a Great Place to Work in 2020.
The word “Maven” means, “one who is experienced or knowledgeable.” We have a professional, friendly, and open team committed to our values: serving the client, producing quality work, proactive communication and a commitment to safety.
We believe we are part of the wider community and need to do our part, ensuring a positive future for our fellow citizens. We are proud to donate 1% of our annual revenue into local community groups.
Maven is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will be invited to interview based on their fit with this advertised role. Only those people legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered.