LOCATION: Remote or Hybrid from our North Vancouver office
As an infrastructure consultancy acting as owner’s representatives for utility and municipal clients, Maven delivers projects and services that will serve the communities where we live, work and play. And it starts with our people – motived to do our best work and make an impact.
We are looking for an Estimator who has experience in the power utility sector, and most importantly aligns with our team core values (Safety, Wellbeing, Respect, Quality, Collaborate, Growth Mindset). This position can be remote or hybrid from our office in North Vancouver and is responsible for capital cost estimating including labour, equipment, and material costs for capital infrastructure projects in BC.
As a member of a multi-disciplinary services team, the estimator supports transmission and distribution infrastructure projects for BC’s main electric utility with cost estimating services, often performed under an EPCM-type delivery model. Projects range from low to high complexity, can be located anywhere in BC, and include asset types such as lines, substations and related systems like telecom and protection & control.
Why Join Maven:
- Grow with us – Take on new projects and share your experience with our team
- Work on interesting projects – from system upgrades to capital infrastructure projects
- Be supported through training, team meetings, peer coaching, and townhalls
- Receive competitive compensation and health benefits
- Attend staff events and contribute to our Share 1% program
- Work in a professional, friendly, and respectful culture – named as a Best Place to Work for Inclusion and Mental Health
- Work in a flexible and hybrid work environment – work remotely from home and join us in our North Vancouver office for project work as needed
- Contribute to a growth-oriented business – Maven has been recognized as one of the fastest growing professional service companies in Western Canada
Estimating responsibilities extend to conceptual design, feasibility design, preliminary design, and engineer’s estimates, each tailored to different project phases with varying degrees of detail and maturity and include the following main activities:
- Prepare and/or coordinate the formulation of multi-disciplined capital cost estimates of various classes for transmission and distribution projects from identification to implementation in support of internal and external approvals and development of projects.
- Generate total project cost estimates, including direct and indirect construction costs, project escalation costs, contingencies, and project loadings.
- Conduct takeoff and costing based on designs, utilizing historical cost databases or reference contract costs provided by the client.
- Perform internal checks and reviews before presenting the cost estimate package to management.
- Collaborate with management, communicate project cost information effectively, and engage with stakeholders including board ad regulators.
- Review estimates prepared by others, evaluate procurement events, and assist in handling contractor claims.
Who we are looking for:
- Minimum of 10+ years’ experience relating to industrial and/or infrastructure construction estimating, ideally on low to high-complex transmission and distribution infrastructure projects including the above-mentioned asset types.
- Consulting engineering and/or construction experience, a thorough understanding of construction practices and procedures, and a deep understanding of execution models including EPC and EPCM.
- Post-secondary education: certificate, diploma, or designation in a related field.
- A construction management/engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience.
- Designated Professional Quantity Surveyors (PQS), Construction Estimator Certified (CEC) and/or Canadian Construction Association Gold Seal Certification in estimating, or equivalent designations.
- Considerable knowledge of industry-accepted standards, guidelines, procedures, and practices, specifically AACE International standards and practices, regarding estimating, cost control and forecasting.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, exhibiting diplomacy and tact when interacting with different levels of internal and external partners.
- Ability to influence and negotiate.
- Able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines.
- Proficient in SAP, Primavera P6, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, SharePoint, Project).
Maven delivers infrastructure projects for communities in Western and Northern Canada as owner’s representatives. We turn client ideas and objectives into sustainable infrastructure, delivered safely, on time and on budget with Maven’s unique expertise.
The word “Maven” means, “one who is experienced or knowledgeable.” Our people are our success. We are a mid-sized firm, with have a professional and friendly team committed to our values of safety, wellbeing, respect, quality, collaborate and growth mindset.
We believe we are part of the wider community and need to do our part to contribute, ensuring a positive future for our fellow citizens. Through our Share1% program we select organizations to partner with and offer volunteer opportunities for our staff.
Email your CV and cover letter to [email protected].
Maven is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will be invited to interview based on their fit with this advertised role. Only those people legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered and only those invited to an interview will be contacted.